Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Feeling like I am part of the "Amazing Race"

(Posted on September 9, 2010)

I started my journey today to Los Angeles to connect with my flight to Dubai.  I landed at LAX at 10am, yet my connection on Emirates was not until 4:45pm.  I collected my checked bag and made my way from United terminal 7 to the international terminal. When I got there I found out that the Emirates ticket counter doesn't open until 1pm.  I felt like I was in the amazing race - camped out in front of the empty ticket counter first in line.  Around noon, they started setting up the retractable lanes and the economy line quickly formed behind me.  The people behind me were from Santa Barbara, CA on their way to Ethiopia to adopt a 5 month baby boy.
When I stepped up to the ticket counter to check in, I was told that my normal carry on rollerbag was double the allowed weight and too large for their sizing unit.  This is the same carry on I take back and forth across the US every week.  I asked about upgrading to business class, but the charge was $2,000-$3,000 for the flight.  Ugh.  I quickly grabbed a change of clothes, toothbrush and razor and checked my trusty carry-on.  At least now I am traveling very light.  Hopefully both bags will be waiting for me at baggage claim in Kolkata Saturday morning!
After check in I made my way to the Delta terminal so I could use the Skyclub lounge, as this will be the last bit of solace before I get to the hotel in India.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck!
    Submitted by Gregory S Mussich on September 10, 2010 - 3:04pm.
    Hey, John best of luck! I look forward to reading about your time in India.

    ReplyDelete